Friday, September 7, 2012

SWING TIME (1936)


Musicals month (3 of 12)

Swing Time (1936)

If I was going to put one Astaire/Rogers movie on the 1001 movie list it would be Top Hat. However, RKO’s Swing Time can be pretty fun too if you’re in the mood for it. I think if you are a dancer, you’re going to really appreciate Fred Astaire. I’m not a dancer, but my niece is and she gives Fred the stamp of approval. Who am I to argue?

Favorite 30’s censorship moment: Victor Moore calls a policeman a son of a bitch under his breath as he is being drowned out by a jack hammer. When the policeman asks him what he said, he says ”Look out for the Big Ditch!”

And the final dance did make me remember John Coffey at the end of The Green Mile crying while watching Fred and Ginger and saying, "Why, they's angels. Angels, just like up in heaven."

No comments:

Post a Comment