Wednesday, February 13, 2013

THE DESCENDANTS (2011)


'Wondering how am I ever going to get through the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list if they keep updating it with new entries' month.

(Post 5 of 10)

The Descendants

I wonder if a feminist film critic might ask the hypothetical question about the The Descendants that if this had been a Julia Roberts movie instead of a George Clooney movie would it have met with such critical approval and nominated for several Acamedy Awards? Would it have gone the way of Eat, Pray, Love? A popular movie largely because of the star, but not one that would be given any kind of awards.

Not that I didn’t like The Descendants. It does have something to say about how tragedy can become an opportunity. How you can stand for the right thing against pressures for you to take the easy way out. And George Clooney is a very likeable movie star. I’m just not sure it would be in my book of 1001.

No comments:

Post a Comment