Wednesday, June 25, 2014

BLONDE COBRA (1963)


Experimental/Avant Garde Cinema Week Day 3

There are several experimental or avant garde films on the 1001 movie list. In trying to figure out how to deal with them, I have tried to handle these often tough nuts to crack by just watching them and trying to answer ten basic questions about them on my personally devised standardized test. So let us continue with...

Experimental/Avant Garde Cinema Week Day 3

There are several experimental or avant garde films on the 1001 movie list. In trying to figure out how to deal with them, I have tried to handle these often tough nuts to crack by just watching them and trying to answer ten basic questions about them on my personally devised standardized test. So let us continue with...

Blonde Cobra

1. What happens?
1001 movie reviewer Marc Siegel says: "Blonde Cobra is perhaps first and foremost a fascinating audio-visual treatment of the inimitable Jack Smith." 
I say: "I have no idea what happens or if anything happens."

2. Was it heavy? Did it achieve total heaviosity?
I'm making the call that it did not.

3. What was your favorite part?
After several minutes of a black screen the sudden rush of an actual image at least made me say, "Aha! An acutal image! That's good, right?"

4. What was your least favorite part?
The fact that I couldn't make out much of the dialogue during the film's thirty-three minutes. But I'm not totally convinced that is a bad thing.

5. Did you get it?
I like to think I'm very open minded about experimental films, but I can honestly say that I totally didn't get Blonde Cobra

6. Might the viewing experience have been enhanced from either prescription or non-prescription medication of some kind?
I don't know, but watching this made me want to take a Tums.

7. What about the sex?
No matter what team you play for, any sex to be found here is pretty darn creepy.

8. What about the violence?
Not in the film itself, but I was personally beginning to feel a bit violent by minute thirty-three.

9. Describe this film in one sentence starting with "This is the film..."
This is the film that makes Scorpio Rising look like a masterpiece by comparison.

10. Would you watch it again?
In an attempt to get some meaning out of this I did watch it again (It didn't help).


I think it's safe to say that I won't watch it a third time. Thanks for nothing, Marc Siegel!

No comments:

Post a Comment